Friday, December 9, 2011

A Year and a Day



There are many books and articles written about this topic, and I’ll be honest, I’ve read none of them. It just so happens to be that the actual concept interests me more. The idea of “A Year and a Day” is that a person dedicates oneself to a particular spiritual path for a total of 366 days. For many, it is the first step before initiation, while learning the fundamentals of a practice. It is also a commitment to daily living, learning, overcoming obstacles, and challenging oneself in order to experience one’s own personal truth and the Divine.

The Curve Ball
There comes a point in people’s lives when they know there is something more, something greater. Often times there is a profound occurrence in one’s life, like a dream, astral projection, or a near death experience, that prompts a person to investigate, and dig deeper. It can be a shift in the mind, a sense that there is more than what meets the eye, or a sudden epiphany. This is a personal and very intimate experience; a calling, if you will, to explore unchartered territories for yourself.

Overcoming Fear of the Unknown
Society has indoctrinated us well. From early ages we’re taught that our elders have all the answers and that we should respect authority. We’re told that there is one god, and the days of believing in multiple gods rest in the past. Those who attempt to create -anyone from artists to witches- are rebels, and belong in hell right next to the Devil.  We’ve been taught that we should all go to school, get awesome jobs, make lots of money, get married, have children and die. But what happens if we go against the grain, and something materializes within us that says, “Ask, for there is more!” As free agents, we can choose to either silence that little voice, or heed the call.

The Intellectual
You turn on the computer. You open up Google. You don’t know what you’re looking for. You type in a word. You skip the Wikipedia definition and go straight to Images. You look for something that pops out at you, something that is beautiful, that will re-awaken that little voice inside of you again. You go back to the main Google page. You type in another word. Other words pop up, words that you’re unfamiliar with. This time you click and skim the article. Something in it resonates with you. Maybe Amazon has a book on the topic. No. You don’t want to commit. Maybe you’ll stop by the library during the weekend on your way to do groceries. Yes, that’s it. Maybe they’ll have that book. Maybe you’ll check the book out. Maybe, just maybe…

The Dedication
This is it! Your heart beats fast. You’ve done as much research as you can and you’re ready to make that commitment to yourself and to the Divine that this is it. It feels so right. You’ve decided to mark the occasion. You’ve chosen a date that’s appropriate on the Gregorian calendar, a date that aligns auspiciously with the moon and stars. You’ve chosen which path you’re going to embark on, and the deity that you’re going work with for the next year. You’ve got your tools, and have decided to set up sacred space. You have no idea what you’re getting into, and you still hold on to a little bit of fear. But that’s okay. And then, you dive…

To Know, to Will, to Dare, and to be Silent
Do you tell anyone? Do you dare? What will they think, will they care? Beginning a new spiritual path is exciting as it can be nerve wrecking. Sometimes, you don’t know what you’re doing, and that’s okay. Sometimes there is no one around to consult, but not to worry for, “When the student is reader, the teacher will appear.”

Its common to make mistakes in the beginning, but the idea is to learn by trial and error. Perhaps you want to try a new ritual, or make some magick. Or maybe you don’t want to tell anyone about what you’re up to. The phrase, “To know, to will, to dare, and to be silent,” has guided many spiritual practioners. It is a framework for keeping us in line with our commitment to spirituality. If you’re going to do spiritual work, you don’t wave around a red flag that says, “HEY! Look at me! Look what I’m doing! Look at what I just did!”  People may lose respect for you, not take you seriously, and deity may snicker and say, “This person ain’t quite ready for us yet.” Your own process may backfire on you, simply because you’re not in the right space and time to embark on something that is so serious in nature. This phrase is definitely a warning, keeps us all in check, but challenges to us to expand our horizons. 

Discipline
Big word here, folks. A lot of us talk a good game, and think that because we’re grown and adults, that we’re also disciplined. This is not always the case. But what does discipline really mean when dedicating ourselves to a path? For starters, it means giving some things up to make us stronger. It might mean not drinking, not smoking, eating differently, and not staying out late so that you can wake up earlier to commune with the goddess. It may mean dedicating a specific day of the week to your deity, or observing new holidays that aren’t mainstream.

At first, these tasks may seem daunting, but if you want something bad enough, then you will set aside time to make it happen. Some folks choose to work in circles, or covens. Others choose the solitary path, and to learn on their own. Both ways require much discipline. It really is up to you what you make out of your commitment to your path. Some people never get passed a surface level of comprehension. For other, it takes years to reach adepthood. Remember the old adage, “What you put out is what you get back.”

Shadow Work
When I first decided to commit to my path, I didn’t think there was anything wrong with me. I heard others on YouTube discussing their shadow selves, and I thought, “But they seem like such decent people.” But it wasn’t long before my own personal demons started to haunt me. Things started to surface. In order to get down and dirty with deity, I had to confront a lot of my own illusions and karmic baggage that I had been carrying around. I had to forgive myself and release the karma that I had consciously (and subconsciously) chosen to take on for others. I was forced to quickly break down any preconceived notions I had about the spiritual word and my role in it. And most of all, I had to give a lot up and change in order to build myself back up again as a more spiritually empowered being.

What inspired me to want to write this blog in the first place were my own personal thoughts on divination. I considered how empty the process of divination would feel without the presence of the Divine. I thought about the strict discipline one must have to be able to do it successfully, and the type of connection, communion, and exchange one must be willing to have with deity, angels and spirits.

In my year and a day, I learned very quickly what it is to have a relationship with the Divine. I’ve developed a close relationship with some deity. They’ve told me what they like, and what they don’t like. They’ve initiated me, and they’ve even brought in other manifestations of the Divine for me to work with. They provide me with helpful people –and spirits- along my path, as well as challenges that will take me to the next levels of spiritual connection and exploration. And they have taught me when and how to work with them, and how to not be afraid.

One can experience these and much more from their year and a day commitment to deity and path. I highly encourage and recommend it. So, buckle up and work toward accomplishing your spiritual goals. You will be a different, and better person when it’s said and done. I promise.


By: Yvonne Nieves 

2 comments:

  1. Sister Yvonne... this is an article from your heart to ours! Speaks volumes to me in so many ways... I have just recently started my Year and a Day journey, I have grown, I have faltered and I have been scared at times. But I am so glad I am finally on that journey There were way to many years that have gone by that I did not or for whatever reason was unable to act on what I know is my new way of "being". Thank you for your heartfelt article... I look forward to your next writing... Love, Light, Peace and Truth Always! Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing Yvonne...this is so true and a great starter for others who may want to begin on a spiritual journey but don't know where to start. Ah, discipline is one of the greatest things that can be difficult for most, but yes with great determination one can become stronger.

    ReplyDelete